Professional Mentor "Friend" - Chicago
Friends of the Children - Chicago is a local chapter of a national mentoring organization currently serving 20 communities and still expanding. Our model is proven to break the cycle of generational poverty for children who face the greatest obstacles by providing professional mentors to thousands of youth across the country and we have recently expanded to Chicago.
We employ trained, full-time professional mentors. We call them “Friends”; to provide a stable, caring and sustainable relationship in each child’s life for 12 ½ years, no matter what.
Are you looking to make a difference in the lives of children who need it most?
We will hire an extraordinary individuals, to start in April 2021, looking to develop intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with the children who need it most. This Friend will work with eight young boys and will:
- Set positive expectations
- Nurture and promote the child’s individual strengths, talents and abilities
- Help assure physical and emotional well-being
- Teach life and academic skills
- Provide enrichment activities
- Model responsible behavior
- Build relationships with families, teachers and others involved in each child’s life
- Simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner
Friends will spend four hours per week with each child and will report directly to the Program Manager.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree (preferred), associate’s degree required
- At least two years’ experience working with vulnerable youth
- Be culturally competent and trauma informed
- Experience building relationships with parents, families, and teachers
- Superior scheduling and time management skills
- Data entry and database management skills
- An experience to be part of a growing start-up non-profit
- You’ll be part of a dynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model.
- You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to support you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged.
- You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected.
- Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping Chicago’s most vulnerable children change the trajectories of their lives!
What we offer:
Work hours are flexible and will vary depending on the needs of the youth. Friends must provide their own child-safe vehicle and insurance; we reimburse for mileage.
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
Start Date: April 2021
Friends of the Children is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace.
To learn more about the position’s responsibilities and qualifications go to:
To learn more about Friends of the Children go to: http://www.friendschicago.org/.