Professional Mentor - Chicago
Friends of the Children is a nonprofit that is impacting generational change by empowering youth through relationships with professional mentors. We do this by providing children facing the most obstacles with a long-term, salaried, professional mentor, who we call a “Friend,” from kindergarten through high school graduation, 12+ years – no matter what. We are currently seeking an extraordinary professional to embark on a new career journey as a Friend at our Chicago Chapter.
At Friends of the Children, we put children first and use our values to change the way the world treats and views youth facing great barriers. As a Friend, you will nurture long-term relationships from a foundation of love, acceptance, and culturally informed practice. Do you want to help eight of our young girls discover their limitless potential, by fostering their internal resiliency? Are you ready to help build relationships within the communities of our youth and families to strengthen social networks and provide bridges to new opportunities? If so, the impactful role of a Friend might be for you.
Curious to learn more? See the position details below:
We are hiring two extraordinary individuals looking to develop intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with the children who need it most. A Friend will work with eight children and will:
- Set positive expectations
- Nurture and promote the child’s individual strengths, talents, and abilities
- Help assure physical and emotional well-being
- Teach life and academic skills
- Provide enrichment activities
- Model responsible behavior
- Build relationships with families, teachers, and others involved in each child’s life
- Simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner
Friends will spend four hours per week with each child and will report directly to the Program Director.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree (preferred), associate degree required
- At least two years experience working with vulnerable youth
- Be culturally competent and trauma-informed
- Experience building relationships with parents, families, and teachers
- Superior scheduling and time management skills
- Data entry and database management skills
- An experience to be part of a growing non-profit
- You’ll be part of a dynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model.
- You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to supporting you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged.
- You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected.
- Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping Chicago’s most vulnerable children change the trajectories of their lives!
What we offer:
Work hours are flexible and will vary depending on the needs of the youth. Friends must provide their own child-safe vehicle and insurance; we reimburse for mileage.
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
Start Date: As soon as possible
Professional Level: Professional Position
Friends of the Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to addressing discriminatory practices, and to working toward racial equity. The equal employment opportunity policy of Friends of the Children provides fair and equal opportunities for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. Friends of the Children hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Friends of the Children is growing rapidly as communities across the country are experiencing the power of how “One” changes a child's story: One Friend. One Child. 12+ years. No matter what. #ThePowerOfOne
To learn more about Friends of the Children go to: http://www.friendschicago.org/.