Director of Development
Friends of the Children – Los Angeles (Friends LA) is seeking an experienced Director of Development (DD) with management experience, expertise with diverse funding streams including foundations and individual donors, and an enthusiasm for our mission eager to create and implement targeted fundraising strategies for our growing organization.
The Development Director (DD) is responsible for developing and leading the annual and long-term plan for a diversified funding stream for Friends LA, including individual giving, private and family foundations, government grants, corporate donations, sponsorships, and large-scale events.
Working with and reporting to the Executive Director, the DD is responsible for raising funds to support Friends LA’s annual operating budget (currently $3 million) through a combination of grants, individual and corporate donations, events, and peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns. Friends LA is a growing organization, and the DD will assume primary responsibility for achieving organizational fundraising goals, including sourcing new income streams.
As part of Friends LA’s Executive Leadership Team, the Development Director will oversee the development portfolio and supervise the Development Coordinator. They will also work closely with other members of the Executive Leadership Team to engage program staff across departments.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- In close partnership with the Executive Director, the DD will develop the long term and annual plan for a diversified funding stream that includes grants (foundation, community foundation, corporate), government funds, individual donations, and major gifts, fundraising events, and sponsorships;
- Track and assess annual development plan/fundraising campaigns, provide analysis and reporting on progress towards development priorities and goals;
- Oversee communications to engage lapsed donors, maintain current funders and work with the Executive Director to develop new relationships;
- Manage all submissions of grants and reports by designated due dates, including – but not limited to – persuasively writing donor communications and preparing quarterly and annual reports; DD will also work in partnership with our National HQs on all submissions.
- Regularly collaborate with Development Coordinator to develop marketing collateral and digital fundraising strategies;
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with local and regional governmental and identify new opportunities for partnerships and sponsorships;
- Lead the development of individual giving and major gift program; identified prospective individual and corporate donors and develop strategies to cultivate those relationships, provided support to train staff and Board in these efforts;
- Final approver of the full range of activities required to prepare, submit and manage grant proposals to government, foundation, and corporate sources. Ensure the compliance of all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate/government donors;
- Represent Friends LA at organization functions and events, particularly fundraising events.
- Passion for the mission of Friends LA to uplift youth and families impacted by foster care and the child welfare system;
- Education and Experience – Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of directly- fundraising experience. Master’s degree preferred, but not required;
- Demonstrated fundraising success with individual, corporate, and government funders;
- Proven experience with building and maintaining relationships with foundations and grant writing;
- Track record of successful fundraising events;
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects, and prioritize well;
- Ability to succinctly and accurately describe organizational work and needs;
- Strategic Thinking – Ability to assess and apply fundraising trends locally and nationally;
- Experience in supervising and developing staff;
- Excellent and persuasive communications skills (written, visual, oral); and
- Experience with and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) and CRM applications.
Salary commensurate with experience. Friends LA provides a comprehensive benefits package to its employees, including full employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement contributions, and paid parking. Friends LA has a generous holiday and time off policy, including flextime off after busy work periods and an annual winter recess during the last week of December.
Friends of the Children – Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to addressing discriminatory practices and working toward racial equity. The equal employment opportunity policy of Friends of the Children provides fair and equal opportunities for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. Friends of the Children – Los Angeles hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Friends of the Children is growing rapidly as communities across the country are experiencing the power of how “One” changes a child's story: One Friend. One Child. 12 ½ years. No matter what. #ThePowerOfOne