Senior Accountant- Non-Profit-Work from Home (Houston, TX)
Are you a CPA that wants to work from home? Friends of the Children is looking for an extraordinary professional to join our finance team in July 2022. Are you flexible and ready to take on a wide range of accounting tasks? Is working for an organization that inspires you a critical aspect of your job search? We may have the perfect career for you.
Our mission is to impact generational change by empowering youth who are facing the greatest obstacles through relationships with professional mentors for 12+ years no matter what.
The Finance team performs the accounting functions for the National Friends of the Children organization and chapters throughout the country. The Senior Accountant is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, and the support of budget and forecast activities for National and our growing network of chapters.
This role is a full-time remote position for the National organization that is based in Portland, Oregon.
Friends of the Children is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace. See the below to learn more about the position’s responsibilities and qualifications:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended as a comprehensive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly financial statements and other reporting for executives, the Board of Directors, committees, grants, and chapters.
- Lead meetings with chapter executives to review financial statements
- Support budgeting and planning activities for current and expanding chapters.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources, while maintaining a high level of accuracy in a fast-paced expanding business model.
- Respond to inquiries from chapter executives, the National CEO and National Chief Operating Officer regarding financial results and special reporting requests.
- Provide documents and support as needed to external auditors for year-end audits and tax returns.
- Support the National Controller, National Assistant Controller, and Chief Operating Officer on special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Learn and regularly perform the most critical aspects of the Staff Accountant role to provide essential coverage during absences.
- Prepare and review monthly journal entries and reconciliations.
- Prepare quarterly reconciliations of chapter donor databases and the general ledger.
- Complete year-end tasks for chapter financials.
- Approve AP invoices for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Prepare AR invoices for chapters’ grants as needed.
- Review employee expense reports, ensuring accuracy and reasonableness
Required Education, Experience, and Abilities:
- Active CPA license
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and PDF
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
Preferred Experience and Abilities:
- Non-profit accounting experience
- Federal grant compliance experience
- Experience with Financial Edge
- Experience with Payroll reporting (using TriNet, Paychex, Insperity or similar system)
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook
- Proficient in Microsoft Teams
- Proficient in Teamwork
- Full benefits (401k, Health, Dental, Vision, Life)
Range: $60k-$75k (Compensation commensurate with experience and geographical location)
Friends of the Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to addressing discriminatory practices, and to working toward racial equity. The equal employment opportunity policy of Friends of the Children provides fair and equal opportunities for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. Friends of the Children hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Learn more about Friends of the Children here: www.friendsofthechildren.org