Professional Mentors - Chicago
Friends of the Children-Chicago is part of a national mentoring organization currently serving 29 communities and still expanding! We pair kindergartners facing the greatest obstacles with long-term, salaried, professional mentors, who we call “Friends.” Mentors support the emotional, social, and academic growth of our youth, empowering them to have the skills and resilience to thrive. We walk beside our youth for 12.5 years – No Matter What.
We are currently seeking seven extraordinary professionals to embark on a new career journey as a Professional Mentor – a Friend – serving children on Chicago’s South and/or West Sides.
Do you want to help eight young boys or girls discover their own potential? Are you ready to help them build bridges to new opportunities? Do you find joy in seeing a child find their spark and reach for their dreams? If so, the impactful role of a Friend might be for you.
Curious to learn more? See the position details below:
Our mentors develop intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with the children who need it most. These Friends will work with eight youth and will:
- Set positive expectations
- Nurture and promote the child’s individual strengths, talents, and abilities
- Help assure physical and emotional well-being
- Teach life and academic skills
- Provide enrichment activities
- Model responsible behavior
- Build relationships with families, teachers, and others involved in each child’s life
- Simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner
Friends will spend four hours per week with each child and will report directly to the Program Manager.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree (preferred), associate degree required
- At least two years experience working with vulnerable youth
- Be culturally competent and trauma-informed
- Experience building relationships with parents, families, and teachers
- Superior scheduling and time management skills
- Data entry and database management skills
- An experience to be part of a growing non-profit
- You’ll be part of a dynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model.
- You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to supporting you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged.
- You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected.
- Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping Chicago’s most vulnerable children change the trajectories of their lives!
What we offer:
Work hours are flexible and will vary depending on the needs of the youth. Friends must provide their own child-safe vehicle and insurance; we reimburse for mileage.
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
Start Date: March 1st
Professional Level: Professional Position
Friends of the Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to addressing discriminatory practices, and to working toward racial equity. The equal employment opportunity policy of Friends of the Children provides fair and equal opportunities for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. Friends of the Children hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Friends of the Children is growing rapidly as communities across the country are experiencing the power of how “One” changes a child's story: One Friend. One Child. 12+ years. No matter what. #ThePowerOfOne
To learn more about Friends of the Children go to: http://www.friendschicago.org/.