Professional Mentor-Central Oregon (Deschutes, Crook, & Jefferson Counties)
Friends of the Children - Central Oregon is the newest chapter of a growing national mentoring organization. Our model is proven to break the cycle of generational poverty for children who face the highest risks by providing professional mentors to thousands of youth across the country and we have recently expanded to Central Oregon.
We employ trained, full-time professional mentors. We call them “Friends”; to provide a stable, caring and sustainable relationship in each child’s life for 12 ½ years, no matter what.
Are you looking to make a difference in the lives of children who need it most?
We will hire two extraordinary individuals now to start in July of 2021 and or September 2021 who are looking to develop intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with children who need it most. Each Friend will work with eight children and will:
- Set positive expectations
- Nurture and promote the child’s individual strengths, talents and abilities
- Help assure physical and emotional well-being
- Teach life and academic skills
- Provide enrichment activities
- Model responsible behavior
- Simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner
Each Friend will spend approximately four hours per week with each child and will report directly to the Program Manager and Team Lead.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An associate’s or bachelor’s degree
- Significant experience working with vulnerable youth
- Be culturally competent and trauma informed
- Superior scheduling and time management skills
- Data entry and database management skills
- You’ll start on the ground floor of a small nonprofit, then grow with us.
- You’ll be part of a dynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model.
- You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to support you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged.
- You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected.
- Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping Central Oregon most vulnerable children change the trajectories of their lives!
Work hours are flexible and will vary depending on the needs of the youth. Friends must provide their own child-safe vehicle and insurance; we reimburse for mileage.
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
Start Date: July, 2021
Friends of the Children is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace.
To learn more about Friends of the Children go to: www.friendscentraloregon.org