Development Associate (Chicago, IL)
Friends of the Children is looking for an extraordinary professional to join our national team. Are you an organized, detail- and deadline-oriented individual and ready to serve as the expert and manager of the Salesforce donor and grant management database? Is working for an organization that inspires you a critical aspect of your job search? We may have the perfect career for you.
Our mission is to impact generational change by empowering youth who are facing the greatest obstacles through relationships with paid professional mentors for 12+ years no matter what. Our work is powered by our belief in our values. We put children first; build relationships on love; commit to empowerment; pursue goals relentlessly; and demand equity. The Development Associate reports to the Chief Development Officer. This role also supports and cultivates an equitable “culture of philanthropy” at Friends of the Children in which everyone participates in resource mobilization and outreach efforts.
Are you this amazing leader? Here's what we have to offer you:
- Opportunity to help grow and support an organization that demands equity from ourselves and from our community.
- A team of talented employees who are passionate about working together to create an extraordinary and impactful organization.
- Respect for work-life harmony. Allowing for and encouraging personal well-being and balance is a priority for Friends of the Children.
- Compensation commensurate with experience and geographical location: $55k-$65k
Curious to learn more? The job description is below:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended as a comprehensive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Basic Function/Position Overview:
The Development Associate is central to the Development and Expansion Departments and ensures that we provide excellent service to donors and optimally use the Salesforce system to drive strategies, inform decision making, and enhance and grow support from current and prospective donors. Operations include, but are not limited to, accurate and timely gift entry and donor acknowledgements, data structure, data retrieval, subaward and outbound funds tracking, report customization and analysis, policies & procedures, security, data entry quality control, supporting grant compliance and reporting, and other activities that support ongoing donor engagement. The Development Associate will provide tactical solutions for implementation of tasks related to the database.
The Development and Expansion Departments raise funds to support Friends of the Children national initiatives and are currently managing multiple major campaigns. Other department functions include distribution of funding to chapters; donor relations and events; expansion; stewardship; individual, foundation and corporate fundraising; publications; online and direct mail outreach; and assistance to other departments. The Development Associate has a systems role in all these areas. All development team members work collaboratively to ensure Friends of the Children’s success.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Donor and Grant Database Management
- Serve as the primary administrator for the Salesforce donor and grant management database system and provide the necessary training to staff; write and maintain standard operations procedures as required.
- Maintain the overall quality and integrity of the Salesforce database, including troubleshooting problems with the database and identifying resolutions, staying current with updates to the system, and providing recommendations to management.
- Maintain highly accurate and current donor data that effectively tracks key information, cultivation activities and histories, and solicitation and reporting calendars.
- Continually push the evolution of Salesforce by collaborating with colleagues on new ways to leverage the system's functionality to address user pain-points and achieve goals, including the customization of dashboards and moves management functions.
- Work with the Development Team to establish, maintain, and codify best practices and procedures.
- Work with Development Team members to create and maintain systems for tracking, monitoring, and reporting on outbound funds and related deliverables in Salesforce.
- Create resources and onboard and train staff to use the database and related software, giving them the tools they need to enter and utilize data accurately, and empowering colleagues to further Friends of the Children’s mission through data-driven fundraising efforts.
- Create, generate, and manage various reports (internal and external), including mailing lists, funder and grant lists, and customized, one-off reports as needed.
- Respond to requests for mailing lists, donor, and gift data in a timely manner.
- Ensure and enforce data integrity and standardization.
- Monitor, input, review, and approve data in Salesforce.
- Track, define and manage campaigns: calculate and track all campaigns; work with the CEO to report to the team and National Board of Directors.
- Work effectively as a member of multiple project teams.
- Review and correct prospect and donor mailing information in lists and database and provide final scrubbed lists to senior staff for review. This includes collaboration with the marketing team to ensure electronic distribution lists are accurate and up to date.
- Work proactively with marketing, development, and expansion team members to review and revise criteria and make recommendations for targeted mailing lists, alignment with best practices, and optimal usage of prospect and donor data.
Incoming Gift Processing and Acknowledgements
- Input daily contribution (cash and Gift-In-Kind) details into Salesforce in accordance with Gift Batch Entry processes.
- Support Development Team to determine donor intent when such intent is unclear or unspecified.
- Produce donor acknowledgement letters and receipts for CEO’s signature within 48 hours of gift receipt. Scan and file signed letters in an organized, retrievable manner.
- Make acknowledgment phone call with donors within one business day of processing the gift for national, expansion locations and chapters as needed.
- Produce donor giving statements as needed and requested by staff and donors.
- Enter and update gift and donor records in Salesforce to efficiently provide accurate contribution revenue reporting and donor acknowledgment correspondence.
- Monthly financial reconciliation.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Work with the CEO and Development leadership to track and analyze progress towards national fundraising goals and ensure that fundraising goals are met.
- Provide support to network chapter leadership through participation in onboardings and ongoing trainings and meetings.
- Collaborate with Development leadership to provide support to the Board of Directors to help them meet their personal fundraising goals. This can include creating and linking online personal donation pages, creating lists of prior year donors, and tracking soft credits for board members.
- Collaborate on data-informed marketing strategies and development and expansion initiatives. Identify methods for strengthening existing recruitment and stewardship efforts and explore opportunities for new donor prospects and giving campaigns.
Required Education, Experience, and Abilities:
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree or 4 plus years of relevant work experience in database administration or grant and funding development which could include laws, regulations and agency practices in lieu of degree.
- Experience managing and maintaining CRM data, including thorough experience in reporting, data entry, segmentation, processes and campaigns.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience with Salesforce administration and implementation required.
- Understanding of fundraising cycles and best practices, donor engagement strategies, and donor stewardship is required.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently under deadline pressure and changing priorities.
- Ability to solve problems creatively in order to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Ability to review the work of others to ensure conformance to standards. • Ability to communicate effectively across a broad spectrum of staff, both orally and in writing, is required.
- Strong attention to detail and accurate data entry skills.
- Strong focus and acumen with data, reporting and analysis.
- Enjoy working independently and as part of a team.
Culture of Belonging:
Friends of the Children endeavors to create a culture where each and every staff knows they belong. From our policies to our procedures and practices, we aim to create an environment that is healthy, safe, accepting, supportive, and kind. Our benefits are one way to depict our value for work harmony, empowerment, health, and happiness.
Benefits: Our competitive compensation, benefits package, and employee engagement demonstrate our values to families, children, healthy relationships, love, empowerment, goal achievement, and equity. We are continuously seeking feedback and researching best practices to meet the needs of staff and their families. Below are ways we actualize a culture of care for each and every staff member.
- Health: Friends of the Children had covers 100% of employee only health premium for 2 of the 3 plans
- Dental: Friends of the Children covers 100% of employee only premium
- Vision: Friends of the Children covers 100% of employee only premium
- Basic Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment: 100% paid by Friends of the Children
- Short Term Disability and Long-Term Disability: 100% paid by Friends of the Children
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): Employees may contribute to an FSA account: Healthcare FSA minimum of $100 maximum of $3,050.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Benefits such as Critical Illness, Hospitalization, Legal, etc.
- 401(k) savings plan with a company matches up to the first 4% of earnings that the employee contributes.
- Cell phone Reimbursement: Employee is eligible for a cell phone reimbursement not to exceed $50/month.
- Internet Service Reimbursement: Employee is eligible for an internet service reimbursement not to exceed $25/month.
- Office reimbursement of $150 per year.
- Time off: Full-time employees of Friends are eligible for up to three weeks of paid vacation annually as well as paid sick leave. The first year the time is pro-rated.
- Career Development after the first year of employment.
- Summer hours
- Employee Perks and Discount Programs including savings on hotels, rental cars, travel, entertainment, streaming services, electronics, eCommerce, and so much more
Benefits start at the first of the month on or following employee start date.
- Salary Range: $55k-$65k (Compensation commensurate with experience and geographical location)
Applications without cover letters will not be considered; please use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the Development Associate at Friends of the Children!
Friends of the Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to addressing discriminatory practices, and to working toward racial equity. The equal employment opportunity policy of Friends of the Children provides fair and equal opportunities for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. Friends of the Children hires and promotes individuals solely based on their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Friends of the Children is growing rapidly as communities across the country are experiencing the power of how “One” changes a child's story: One Friend. One Child. 12+ years. No matter what. #ThePowerOfOne
To learn more about Friends of the Children go to: https://friendsofthechildren.org/