Professional Mentor - Chicago
Friends of the Children - Chicago is one of the newest chapters of a growing national mentoring organization. Our model is proven to break the cycle of generational poverty for children who are the most vulnerable by providing professional mentors to thousands of youth across the country and we have recently expanded to Chicago.
We employ trained, full-time professional mentors. We call them “Friends”; to provide a stable, caring and sustainable relationship in each child’s life for 12 ½ years, no matter what.
Are you looking to make a difference in the lives of children who need it most?
We will hire an extraordinary individual now to start in February who is looking to develop intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with children who need it most.
A Friend will work with eight children and will:
- Set positive expectations
- Nurture and promote the child’s individual strengths, talents and abilities
- Help assure physical and emotional well-being
- Teach life and academic skills
- Provide enrichment activities
- Model responsible behavior
- Build relationships with families, teachers and others involved in each child’s life
- Simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner
- Friends will spend approximately four hours per week with each child and will report directly to the Program Director.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An associate’s or bachelor’s degree
- Significant experience working with vulnerable youth
- Be culturally competent and trauma informed
- Experience building relationships with parents, families, and teachers
- Superior scheduling and time management skills
- Data entry and database management skills
- You’ll start on the ground floor of a small nonprofit, then grow with us.
- You’ll be part of a dynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model.
- You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to support you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged.
- You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected.
- Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping Austin’s most vulnerable children change the trajectories of their lives!
Work hours are flexible and will vary depending on the needs of the youth. Friends must provide their own child-safe vehicle and insurance; we reimburse for mileage.
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
Start Date: February 2019
Friends of the Children is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace.
To learn more about the position’s responsibilities and qualifications go to:
To learn more about Friends of the Children go to: http://www.friendschicago.org/