Development Manager - Friends of the Children LA
Friends of the Children – Los Angeles (Friends L.A.) is seeking a dynamic Development Manager to work in tandem with the Executive Director. Our Development Manger will be relentlessly driven in advancing the Friends L.A. brand to reach prospective and current donors, and increasing the organization’s fundraising reach throughout L.A. County. The ideal candidate will have a smart head for business, a creative and stylish spark, and a big heart for vulnerable children. They will be proactive and results driven while possessing a sense of urgency and commitment to detail.
The Development and Marketing Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, Development Committee of the Board of Directors, and key volunteers to build the financial support needed to meet our ambitious scaling plan.
If you are seeking an opportunity to join a lean team with an energetic, whatever-it-takes, start-up approach, here’s what we have to offer you:
- A compelling mission and an evidence-based model with a demonstrated history of helping the most vulnerable children break the generational cycle of poverty and systems involvement
- An ambitious scaling plan that will enable you to grow rapidly as a development professional in a multi-person Development Department and a widely respected institution
- An experienced and committed Executive Director who will partner with you in our development efforts
- A Program Director, an Operations Manager and Program Staff, all of whom share a passion for the mission and appreciate the role they must play to make our development efforts succeed
- Substantial start-up capital, a base of current and potential funders, and an actively involved Board of Directors – a great foundation on which to build a development program
- An organization that is committed to equity and inclusion
- A respect for work-life balance that will encourage you to work hard but support your efforts to keep your batteries charged
- A competitive salary, appropriate to your experience level, and a full range of benefits
- Most of all, the opportunity to serve children facing incredible challenges and to help them change their life stories
Intrigued? Want to know more? To learn more about the position’s responsibilities and qualifications see below:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended as a comprehensive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Be willing and able to attend and actively participate in team meetings, staff functions, and development events
- Possess commitment to extreme attention to detail, including but not limited to ability to implement self-checking procedures for data entry, produce accurate correspondence and reports, and produce and edit written materials accurately and consistently
- Have excellent project management and organizational skills to routinely manage and prioritize daily work and meet multiple deadlines simultaneously, especially during high-volume times of the year
- Demonstrate ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Be a self-starter with high level of initiative and willingness to learn
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be social media savvy
Basic Function/Position Objective:
Our Development Manager will be a member of our Senior Management team and will work alongside our Executive Director and Board of Directors, with support from our Friends and in coordination with the rest of the Friends National network, to actualize the organization’s fiscal goals and values.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Passion for serving youth facing the most challenging situations
- Work effectively -- with ED, with Board, and independently -- to identify and cultivate donors including individuals, corporations and foundations
- Support the ED and Board of Directors with revising and implementing a development plan, systems and strategies as necessary to move our fundraising to the next level
- Perform prospect research on individuals, corporations, and foundations evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants
- With guidance and mentorship from the ED, actively participate in aspects of planning, budgeting, and managing the growth and development of the organization
- Excellent organization, time management, delegation and follow-up skills
- Advise ED and Board about revenue targets and achievements
- Plan and execute special funding opportunities (end-of-year-end appeal, Annual Report, etc.)
- Develop and launch a basic communications plan that will focus on educating and raising visibility for donors and prospects. This should include social media channels and electronic newsletters.
- Familiarity with all parts of L.A. County and national philanthropic, governmental, and business communities
- Support activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals and reports
- Make appointments for ED with foundation officers and other prospects, arrange for onsite tours for supporters (foundation officers, foundation trustees)
- Help organize and coordinate efforts of Young Professionals Board
- Strive to ensure that organization’s commitment to equity is reflected in all decisions, communications, and structures
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Two to three years of professional experience in sales and/or fundraising desired.
Learn more about Friends of the Children here: https://friendsla.org/
Friends L.A. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to working toward diversity, equity, and inclusion. The equal employment opportunity policy of Friends L.A. provides fair and equal opportunities for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. Friends L.A. hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.